Europe’s Digital Decade: Empowered by Open Source
05 November 2020
Thank you for participating in this event! We were impressed with the engagement of our audience and glad to see such an interest in the future of Open Source policy. You can consult the slides of our study team’s presentation – feel free to share it.
Join OpenForum Europe and Fraunhofer ISI on 5 November to learn about the first results of the European Commission Open Source study and listen to Open Source leaders explain their impact.
The study team is happy to be joined again by Frank Nagle of the Harvard Business School to introduce alongside his research.
This will be complemented by many Open Source leaders, putting the results of the study into context in a number of thematic panels on research, SMEs and growth, the public sector and industry.
In addition, the European Commission will present their views, including the new European Commission Open Source Strategy to participants.
Sachiko Muto, OpenForum Europe
Manuel Mateo Goyet, EC DG CONNECT
Thomas Gageik, EC DG DIGIT
– Knut Blind, TU Berlin; Fraunhofer ISI
– Frank Nagle, Harvard Business School
– Mirko Boehm, Daimler
– Andrew Katz, Moorcrofts
– Paula Grzegorzewska, OpenForum Europe
– Sivan Patsch, OpenForum Europe
Innovation and competitiveness
Rapporteur: Carlo Daffara, NodeWeaver
Open Source and the public sector
Rapporteur: Karel De Vriendt, OpenForum Europe
Rapporteur: Sachiko Muto, OpenForum Europe
– Chaired by Graham Taylor, OpenForum Europe
– Session leader: Maha Shaikh, King’s College London
– Sayeed Choudhury, Johns Hopkins University
– Thomas Streinz, NYU School of Law
– Javier Serrano, CERN
– Session leader: Danese Cooper, InnerSource Commons Foundation
– Timo Väliharju, APELL, COSS.FI
– Dirk Riehle, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg
– Colin Hanna, Balderton Capital
– Session leader: Clare Dillon, Mosslabs.io
– Martina Paul, OSSBIG
– Andreas Reichel, Dataport
– Néjia Lanouar, City of Paris
– Session leader: Keith Bergelt, Open Invention Network
– Calista Redmond, RISC-V Foundation
– Gael Blondelle, Eclipse Foundation
– Erika Cadamuro, Daimler
– Graham Taylor, OpenForum Europe
– Manuel Mateo Goyet, EC DG CONNECT
Welcoming and final remarks
Graham TaylorChairman OpenForum Europe
European Commission Keynotes
Manuel Mateo GoyetDeputy Head of Unit European Commission, DG CNCET, Cloud and Software Unit
Thomas GageikDirector European Commission, DG DIGIT, Digital Business Solutions
Preliminary study results
– How much does Open Source Software contribute to the European economy?
– What should European policymakers learn from successful and failed projects?
– What is the potential of Open Source Hardware and how can Europe gain a foothold?
– Where have governments around the world succeeded with Open Source policies?
Knut BlindCoordinator of Business Unit Innovation and Regulation Fraunhofer ISI
Frank NagleAssistant Professor of Business Administration Harvard Business School
Andrew KatzManaging Partner and Head of Technology Moorcrofts
Mirko BoehmOpen Source Ambassador Daimler
Paula GrzegorzewskaPolicy Analyst OpenForum Europe
Sivan PätschResearch Director OpenForum Europe
Panel of breakout session rapporteurs
Graham Taylor (Chair)Chairman OpenForum Europe
Carlo DaffaraCEO NodeWeaver
Karel de VriendtNon-executive Director OpenForum Europe
Panel: The state Open Source research
Maha Shaikh (session leader)Senior Lecturer of Digital Innovation King's College London
Sayeed ChoudhuryAssociate Dean for Research Data Management; Hodson Director of the Digital Research and Curation Center Johns Hopkins University
Thomas StreinzAdjunct Professor of Law, Executive Director Guarini Global Law & Tech New York University School of Law
Javier SerranoLeader of the Hardware and Timing Section in the Beam Controls Group CERN
Panel: How can Open Source enable SME and Startup growth
Danese Cooper (session leader)President InnerSource Commons Foundation
Dirk RiehleProfessor of Open Source Software Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nürnberg
Timo VäliharjuCEO of COSS, Board member APELL
Colin HannaPrincipal Balderton Capitol
Panel: How the public sector can use Open Source strategically
Clare Dillon (session leader)Director Mosslabs
Andreas ReichelBoard Dataport
Martina PaulBoard OSSBIG
Nejia LanouarCIO City of Paris
Panel: Industry transformation through Open Source
Keith Bergelt (session leader)CEO Open Invention Network
Calista RedmondCEO RISC-V Foundation
Gael BlondelleVP, Ecosystem Development Eclipse Foundation
Erika CadamuroHead of FOSS Center of Competence Daimler AG
We’re looking forward to seeing you on 5 November!